not all about power!

 I was with friends in the Eastern Washington mountains and we were having a fun time hiking around a friend’s cabin. I had been considering the concept of “power” for a while before this and had talked some aspects of the concept over with my friend Matt. We had taken some magic mushrooms and decided to go for a little night hike in the snow. I had my Maglite Flashlight that took 4 D batteries. As we hiked through the darkness I was really amazed at the ability of this flashlight to produce photons on command. I started ruminating aloud, “I mean, talk about power, I can literally produce photons and aim them in any direction I choose!” After a bit of this kind of musing - and in conjunction with my previous musings on ‘power’ my friend finally exclaimed in exasperation, “Power! Power! Power! You’re all about POWER!”

I immediately yelled, “I am NOT all about POWER!” and the moment that escaped my lips I missed my next footing in a dip in the snow on the ground and whipped around and landed soundly on my back on the ground.

“Whoa! Whoa! Whoa!” I said frantically as I attached meaning to the proximity of my proclamation and my being thrown to the ground by Reality. “Are you all right?” my friend asked around his laughter.

“I AM all about power!” I said in revelatory surprise. “I am all about power.”

I realized in that moment that I had a lot of stigma attached to the concept of power and that I had been turning the concept over and over in my head for a good reason.

I am all about power.

No comments: