volunteer apple tree

I started and grew like a volunteer apple tree. My grandmother (actually great grandmother by marriage) explained to me what a 'volunteer' apple tree was - a surprise to everyone except maybe the bird who dropped the seed as it flew over.

My grandma had thistles growing on her ten acre plot along with the apple tree and a variety of other things. Grapes, blueberries, raspberries, roses, rhubarb, carrots, parsnips, corn, and a whole bunch of cedar and fir trees that made a small forest around the duck pond. Her roses were very dear to her heart, but I think she might have secretly favored the rhododendrons. She was always kind and thoughtful - at all times giving me a gruff and absolute love. Starting at around ten years old I would often ride my bike to her house on a Friday after school and spend two nights there and then ride back home Sunday evening.

My Grandma Grace gave me so much of who I am as a human being.
I grew up on her property just like a thriving thistle, just like a volunteer apple tree in the sun.